Zoller - Beuret Frères
Swiss breech loading M.1851-67 Milbank-Amsler stutzer converted from Federal M.1851 percussion stutzer. According to the Swiss sources the stutzer is a type of carbine, although the weapon is long enough to be considered a rifle. Swinging-block mechanism conversion was approved for the Swiss army issue in December 1863. Originally, the system was patented in the USA by Isaac Milbank, and later it was modified by Rudolf Amsler. Twenty gun makers took part in the Swiss army conversion program. The stutzer displays markings on the breech mechanism, "Zoller". These are most likely the markings of the factory, or rather a gunsmith workshop, that converted the carbine from percussion to breech loading system. The lock plate displays Belgian gun maker markings, "Crown over BF" (Beuret Freres, Liege). Belgian gun makers manufactured percussion muskets, rifles and stutzers for various Swiss cantons. Canton Thurgau militia property markings are stamped on the back of the barrel, as well as on the left side of the stock, "383 TH".
Many thanks to "COLLECTIBLEFIREARMS" for the pictures
Zoller A. arms manufacturer with Frauenfeld, canton of Turgovie, it is mentioned like having worked of 1851 to 1869, moreover since 1851, it provided rifles of reward for the prices of shooting, and one can admire some of his parts to the museums of Freiburg, Kreuzilngen, Steckborn, like with the arsenal of Frauenfeld.
Back to "SWISS GUNS"